Thursday, February 14, 2013

Professionalism is selectively enforced

Today I am frustrated. The reality that people get noticed and ahead in life because they are overly friendly and blow smoke in the air to make themselves more mystical just doesn't adhere to the rule that if you work hard, you will get ahead in life. Those of us who do not possess this trait and prefer to just do our work, often get overlooked or chastised for asking others to do their work too.

This "game" is what most of us claim we are trying to avoid. The reality is you can be the best worker, but if you're not the crowd pleaser you will either go unnoticed or be chided because you are such a stick in the mud. Even worse, the person who is working the crowd (genuinely or not), often is masking that they are not doing the job they are assigned without anyone noticing.

For someone who knows they are not a person with world class personal skills, I find it easier to just move on without saying anything. Conflict is my enemy! But how do you explain to the person with the witty and quick responses that they need to cut back on the people pleasing activities and do what they are supposed to be doing? Inevitably, I will be walked right into how it is my fault and why aren't I just appreciative of anything they do do.

I can accept that if I expect others to act professionally, I must walk the talk. However, since I'm the one asking others to be professional, it appears I'm the only one being asked to change. The other items that are considered policy written to promote professionalism don't seem to be enforced. The personality magic workers can do and get anything they want. And that just SUCKS!



No comments: