Friday, November 30, 2012

Day Tour in Bahrain

Went on a tour here in Bahrain and I was really impressed with everything.  Not sure the picture quality is that great, since I used the iPhone.  Well here you go....


Grand Mosque in Bahrain
This mosque was build for 20 million USD and can hold seven thousand during prayer.  As we walked around inside, I was surprised at the size, but didn't seem like it would fit that many.  Another interesting item is that the mosque was paid for by the government, which is standard for a mosque.  During the tour we had a little time to gain some insight into the culture and religion.  What I learned is that a lot of things I associated with Islam are more based on culture.


Portuguese Fort
This fort was built around 1500, which shocked me.  It was an impressive construction project, and I can't imagine being a Portuguese sailor or soldier that came here from around Africa.

Camel Farm
Next stop was a camel farm near the causeway to Saudi Arabia.  There were hundred camels that all were living under shade awnings, and apparently they are owned by a member of the Bahrain royal family.

We had lunch and then went to the national museum, which was neat.

No comments: